Re: number only

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen_at_wangtrading.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:50:02 -0400

No, that was quite ordinary perl/DBI combination, nothing particularly fancy. The whole script took 10 minutes to assemble, reusing parts of some other scripts.
There is extproc_perl on http://www.smashing.org/extproc_perl and I've had him on my 9.2 database at home, but it was gone after I installed 10g. In 10g one doesn't need perl for nefarious purposes like that, because 10g incorporates regular expressions.
The goal was stated like this: extract numbers from the string if there are any, return 999 if there aren't. That is a picture-perfect task for regular expressions, so, in order to achieve the goal, one needs tool with good regular expression capabilities. To my knowledge, perl is as the top of the regular expressions food chain. Ite missa est, perl is the best.

On 06/30/2004 02:18:14 PM, Paul Drake wrote:
> --- Mladen Gogala <mladen_at_wangtrading.com> wrote:
> > Here is the complete anser, with syntax:
>
> > Execution:
> >
> > Yogi> ./numeric
> > 123
> > 123
> > 999
> >
> > Feel free to modify it as you find fit.
>
> Mladen,
>
> Have you called such code using an EXTPROC listener?
> I remember reading something about being able to
> callout natively to perl code in 10g, but didn't see
> it in the new features guide book that I read.
>
> Paul

Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA

Note:
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. Wang Trading LLC and any of its subsidiaries each reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.
Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorized to state them to be the views of any such entity.