Re: Question of degrees in Oracle DB recovery

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 08:13:37 -0400

Practice recoveries are a must. Do not believe the reports that a tape was written to successfully. At my last employer the development server was backed up nightly using the OS dd> commands. A disk failed and a restore was attempted from the tape backups. The tape drive was defective and no tape was usable for a 2 month period. A lesson learned... practice restore procedures. It verifies your ability and the validity of the backup.
Ron

>>> Daniel.Fink_at_Sun.COM 06/29/2004 12:37:31 PM >>> I don't recall if this is an exact quote from Tim Gorman or Gary Dodge, but the essence is

"The job of the dba is not to backup the database, but recover the database."

If you use this approach, you will be focusing on the right issues and performing the right tasks (like performing test recoveries).

Regards,
Daniel Fink