Re: ENABLE NOVALIDATE behaviour bug

From: Mark Richard <mrichard_at_transurban.com.au>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 09:32:14 +1000

I agree totally that I will need to investigate the likelihood of failure. Thankfully the change occurs within a scheduled outage, along with perhaps 100 other changes ranging from inserting a single record to some relatively complex data conversions. As always, we have to consider the outage window and preferrably keep it around the 10-12 hour mark so it can fit overnight. But we also consider failure quite seriously because it can have such a severe impact on the outage window if we lose a couple of hours of processing. When I can get access to our volume test environment in a couple of weeks I will play around and decide what the best compromise is.

Thanks again,

            Mark.

                                                                           =

=20
Tanel P=F5der = =20 <tanel.poder.003_at_m To: <oracle-l_at_freelis= ts.org> =20 ail.ee> cc: =
=20
Sent by: Subject: Re: ENABLE NOVALI= DATE behaviour bug =20 oracle-l-bounce_at_fr =
=20
eelists.org =
=20
=
=20
=
=20
30/06/2004 09:16 =
=20
Please respond to =
=20
oracle-l =
=20
=
=20
=
=20

> Thanks Jonathan. I had come up with the same solution as Tanel ( for once
> ).

I second to that :)
Jonathan always has at least one another viewpoint which I have not thought about :)

> We need to be reminded to ask the questions:
>
> "How can this fail?"
>
> and
>
> "What are the consequences of failure?"

Agree, and with a table of 250M rows, it probably is more reasonable to spend a little more of your time to reduce the risk of failure...

Tanel.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<---->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>=

Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message.
If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for =
delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this m=
essage to anyone.
In such a case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sende=
r by reply e-mail or by telephone on (03) 9612-6999 or (61) 3 9612-6999.
Please advise immediately if you or your employer does not consent to Inter=
net e-mail for messages of this kind.
Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not rel=
ate to the official business of Transurban Infrastructure Developments Limi=
ted and CityLink Melbourne Limited shall be understood as neither given nor=
 endorsed by them.