RE:guys - financing licensing on disaster recovery site

From: Barbara Baker <barbarabbaker_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 12:37:50 -0700 (PDT)

Paula:
This is what Oracle told us.
This is why we maintain a "manual" standby. (We rcp redo logs across to another box, then apply them on cloned database.) We got Oracle's blessing to use the manual standby with out current licensing scheme, as long as we do not exceed the "10 days per year" rule. A "real" standby would cost us double our current licensing costs.

hth.

Back Up - In this type of recovery, database files of the primary database are stored on tape media. In this type of environment, Oracle permits customers to store a back up copy of the database data on storage devices, such as tapes, without purchasing additional licenses.

Failover - In this type of recovery, nodes are configured in "cluster;" the first installed node acts as a primary node. If the primary node fails, one of the nodes in the cluster acts as the primary node. In this type of environment, Oracle permits licensed Oracle Database customers to run the DAtabase on an unlicensed spare computer for up to a total of ten separate days in any given calendar year. Any other use requires the environment to be fully licensed. Additionally, the same metric must be used when licensing the databases in a failover environment.

Standby - In this type of recovery, a copy of the primary database is maintained on a separate server at all times. These systems are configured for disaster recovery purposes. If the primary database fails, the standby database is activated to act as the new primary database. In this environment, both the primary and the standby databases must be fully licensed. Additionally, the same metric must be used when the licensing the databases in a standby environment.