Re: RMAN and control_file_record_keep_time

From: Peter Gram <peter.gram_at_miracleas.dk>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 23:27:26 +0200

Ron
Even if the control file is 27, 60 and 200 Mb I don't see a reason to recreate the file. If you have some how can prove that the performance of the database is affected by the size if the control file size it is fine to make a new control file. I have never seen a prof that size does mater when it comes control files. A wise DBA once sad to me "If it is not broken don't fix it".

/peter

Ron Rogers wrote:

>One reason that I can think of to rebuild the control file is to
>eliminate the archlogs that are listed from day - one when you use the
>OEM or other product to look at the database. It lists the pages and
>pages of archlogs and I think that is what is increasing the size of the
>control file. In 10g mine has grown and the only thing that is changing
>is the increase in archivelogs.
>My control files started small and now they are up to 21741568 (21.7
>meg). I generate about 25 archlogs each morning when I load about
>250,000 rows of data. I generated a lot of archlogs when I loaded 2
>years worth of data into the database and I noticed in the alert log
>that the control file had made an entry that it had grown.
>
>Other than rebuilding the control file that is the only way I know of
>shrinking it. Anybody have a different method?
>Thanks,
>Ron

>I guess I was wondering why he felt the need to trim down the size of
>the
>control file. This is not a good enough reason for me to recreate the
>control files. Heck, how big are control files? 2M? Roger, you got
>free
>time on your hands?.
>
>Tom Mercadante
>Oracle Certified Professional

Best regards / Venlig hilsen

/*Peter Gram*/
Miracle A/S <www.miracleas.dk>
Kratvej 2
DK - 2760 Måløv

Cell:  (+45) 2527 7107
Phone: (+45) 4466 8855
Fax:   (+45) 4466 8856
Home:  (+45) 3874 5696
Email: peter.gram_at_miracleas.dk

 25 Aug 2004  	 OracleEkspert-konference 2004 på Trekroner
<http://www.oracleekspert.dk/konference.htm>
 17 Sep 2004  	 DECUS-fest i Pederstrup
 18-20 Oct 2004  	 RAC-kursus med Jonathan Lewis
 28-30 Oct 2004  	 The Last Database Forum at Lalandia
<http://miracleas.dk/events/DBF2004/invitation.html>
 22-24 Nov 2004  	 RMAN-kursus med Tuomas Pystynen
 17-19 Jan 2005  	 Miracle Master Class with Tim Gorman
 7-9 Mar 2005  	 Database Master Class with Chris Date
 2-4 May 2005  	 SQL Server Master Class with Kimberly Tripp