RE: RMAN and control_file_record_keep_time

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 14:40:09 -0400

One reason that I can think of to rebuild the control file is to eliminate the archlogs that are listed from day - one when you use the OEM or other product to look at the database. It lists the pages and pages of archlogs and I think that is what is increasing the size of the control file. In 10g mine has grown and the only thing that is changing is the increase in archivelogs.
My control files started small and now they are up to 21741568 (21.7 meg). I generate about 25 archlogs each morning when I load about 250,000 rows of data. I generated a lot of archlogs when I loaded 2 years worth of data into the database and I noticed in the alert log that the control file had made an entry that it had grown.

Other than rebuilding the control file that is the only way I know of shrinking it. Anybody have a different method? Thanks,
Ron

>>> thomas.mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us 06/22/2004 10:18:37 AM >>>
I guess I was wondering why he felt the need to trim down the size of the
control file. This is not a good enough reason for me to recreate the control files. Heck, how big are control files? 2M? Roger, you got free
time on your hands?.

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional