Re[4]: SQL Language Quick Reference

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 23:13:40 -0400

Thursday, June 10, 2004, 11:40:14 AM, Stephen.Lee_at_DTAG.Com (Stephen.Lee_at_DTAG.Com) wrote: SLDC> A suggestion for youse guys at O'Reilly:

SLDC> Given the rate at which Oracle keeps cramming in new stuff, I wonder if it SLDC> would be practical to publish supplements for some books.

I believe we've tried that in the past, but without much success. Supplements to books are one of those ideas that sounds good, but that doesn't seem to play out well when you try to put it into practice.

When 8i came out, Steven Feuerstein wrote an 8i new features book, which was sort of meant as a supplement to his larger, Programming PL/SQL book. I believe the motivation for that book was that we couldn't rev his larger book in a timely manner. It was reasonably successful, I believe, but not so much so that we want to do that sort of thing again. Those sorts of books are once-off items, and we'd rather invest energy in a book that will last for more than one edition.

I'll be sure to pass on your suggestion though, to the editor of that supplied packages book. Actually, I'll just copy her on this note. We were just talking about the book the other day in fact.

Best regards,

Jonathan Gennick --- Brighten the corner where you are http://Gennick.com * 906.387.1698 * mailto:jonathan@gennick.com