RE: Stop defragmenting and start ...

From: Jacques Kilchoer <Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:20:11 -0700

The "pctincrease" parameter made sense to me in the days before unlimited extents, in the same way "locally managed autoallocate" would make sense to me now - if you have a table that you think is going to be small but you're not sure. In the days before unlimited extents, once you reached the maximum number of extents for a table, you were stuck. Of course nowadays with unlimited extents there is less of a reason to use "autoallocate" than there was to use pctincrease in pre-7.3 Oracle.

The "how to stop defragmenting and stop living" paper was originally written before locally managed tablespaces. I remember reading it before 8.1 was released.