RE: Bea WebLogic and Oracle shared server

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 08:12:24 -0500

Helmut

   Yes, Weblogic does connection pooling. It will only open the number of connections in its configuration. My feeling is that to configure shared server on the Oracle side would be redundant. Essentially your Weblogic administrator is opening the floodgates and you are clamping on the brakes. I think you and your Weblogic administrator need to have a chat and come to a common understanding of the appropriate number of Oracle connections in the Weblogic configuration. To do otherwise makes me think of an automobile driven by two people, one of whom has their foot on the accelerator and the other with their foot on the brake. My instinct says that with two entities (Weblogic and Oracle Shared Server) each performing connection pooling, the result may be less than optimum.

   Doubling the number of end users does not require the number of Oracle connections to be doubled. Can't the number of existing connections handle the load? Either a compromise needs to be achieved or the capacity of the Oracle database needs to be increased.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com