Re: Database programming standards

From: Rachel Carmichael <wisernet100_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 05:08:34 -0700 (PDT)

The best argument for keeping rules in the database itself is that this way ensures that the rules then are consistently applied. No one can circumvent the business rules by going directly into SQLPlus and making data changes ("but it's an emergency change and we need it fixed NOW").

I'm dealing right now with a DBA who does that. Right now he's like a rogue cop in all our databases. He's really good at what he does, but he's got blinders on about some things (keeps insisting that a BCHR of 70% is "too low"). He does not tell anyone in the operations group (or the other DBAs for that matter) what he is doing. And he's doing all this in production. And then the rest of us get slammed for the performance problems.

Then there's the 3rd party app, which has no constraints on it at all so that it can be "database generic". We move the data to a new application, homegrown, that HAS constraints (I'm the DBA, involved in the design process, my rule is "it's my database, so it's my rules")....

and I spend hours writing programs to clean up the data.

Blathering on here to make sure I don't get this thrown into "moderate" state :)

Who cares about this stuff, it's Friday and I've got tickets to Harry Potter for Sunday!

Do you Yahoo!?
Friends. Fun. Try the all-new Yahoo! Messenger. http://messenger.yahoo.com/