Re: Database programming standards

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_optusnet.com.au>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 19:49:15 +1000

Daniel Fink allegedly said,on my timestamp of 4/06/2004 1:53 AM:

> Gosh, this sounds like a rather heated discussion I had with
> an expert in the past. His position was that the database
> was for storing data...only for storing data.
> No RI, no check constraints, no stored procs, no triggers.
> His argument was that anything related to business rules
> belonged in the application layer. I have several problems with
> this, aside from it being great theory which fails miserably in
> practice.

You're not the only one...

Couple of minor questions for your duh-veloper: when another application sharing the same database has to use these rules in the app server, where does it get them from?

No, an EJB CANNOT be shared between applications in J2EE. Applications in an EJB container run in DIFFERENT JREs and CANNOT share an EJB! No, Java communications are slow as a dog. No, .NOT is not any better in the same respect.

How does the team ensure that the data integrity and business rules will stay the same if they now have to be maintained in TWO source bases, presumably by two disjoint development teams?

> Cynically,
> Daniel Fink

You're not wrong.
But I'm sure I'm gonna be the only one receiving hate mail from some idiot in outer Mongolia who is the new "God's gift" in all things IT, claiming I'm dispensing wrong advice... (care factor? Nill)

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto