Re: Linux for x86 or Intel

From: Fernando <fernandoluis_at_mac.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 19:06:18 -0700

> the last thing that I want to do is have to support
> databases running on Mac OS X. Best defense - good

Well, everyone has their own nightmares. For me, nothing worst than Oracle in a Windows (any kind). It was always a nightmare. And yes, I had to support Oracle 5.1 in a PC with Windows. Mac OS X is closer to NeXTStep (remember those black boxes?) than to the old Mac and it's basically a Mach/BSD distribution (you can have a version for x86 at www.opendarwin.org) with a GUI. The GUI can be ignored (there is a terminal, thanks God) for most purposes, so, it's just another *nix.
Cost-wise, for developers registered in the US, a dual G5 (1.8Ghz) starts at $2k; not competitive with walmartpcs, but competitive with Dell/HPs Xeons and AMDs.
I heard a presentation by the "creator" of the "BigMac", the Mac cluster at Virginia Tech and they went to Macs because they were much cheaper than Dells for the same performance. Kind of having the world upside down ... :-) And they paid full price (actually they tried to buy it online, at the Apple store, and the system had an overflow when he tried for 1100 computers; then he had to persuade the phone operator that he wasn't joking).

Fernando