RE: Moving a 250gig database from SUN to HPUX

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 07:52:06 -0500

Abraham

   I recently performed the same task, moving a 150-gig database from Alpha to Sun. I received some excellent suggestions from the people on this list. I was not brave enough to consider the direct file methods that has been suggested on this thread. Overall, 3 major methods were suggested:

  1. Export/import
  2. SQL*Net COPY
  3. Write to a flat file, SQL*Loader Many people spoke favorably of the SQL*Loader method. It should scale out well, supporting several parallel processes. The limitation is a high-performance method for creating the flat file. In my case it turned out that the new server was a real screamer. It could import faster than the old server could export. The entire export/import/index build cycle took only about 8 hours. You have received some excellent suggestions. Best of luck on your project.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com