Re: anyone else get told they have to wait 4 months for a bug fix?

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_sagelogix.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 08:19:45 -0600

Faulty, untested patches that only make things worse. Much worse. Take that on faith.

Even today, it is a bad idea to grab a new patchset as it is released. If you sit back and watch, the ".zip" files will change in size and cksum several times during the first couple weeks.

Back in Oracle7, we were given several patches only 12 hours after we reported the problem; just how well thought out do you think they were? One of them was turned around in 4 hours and failed to even link. Took years for Oracle to say, "Stop the madness". Thank goodness they did.

As far as being a "critical error that can interrupt service", it is only the first of many. The trick now is to think a couple moves ahead and understand what is necessary to prevent running into such future show-stopper bugs. Hint: the conventional wisdom that you should "be on a supported" version has a dark side. A "supported version" is a version against which fixes are still being made. Your organization must understand the dual meaning of that and balance its appetite for risk against the benefit of new features.

Then and only then, grasshopper, will you achieve existential creaminess and serenity, devoid of the chewy chunks of unstable newly-released software...