Re: 9i RAC or 10g RAC ?

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen_at_wangtrading.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 16:14:57 -0400

On 05/24/2004 03:33:12 PM, Mogens N?rgaard wrote:

> RAC is often bought by management despite the hesitations from its
> technical staff, thus reversing the traditional roles. The dream of a
> technical fix-all lives on.

Mogens, my friend, let me correct your English, obviously damaged by your long absence from this list. The word is "damagement". So called silver bullet approach is a constant topic in many books, Cary Millsap's and Chris Lawson's among other things. I believe that the "silver bullet way" is a constant of human behavior, not only visible in IT but in almost any area of human activity. It's the same motivation that gave us alchemy and the legends of philosopher's stone, the well of eternal youth (without the intervention of plastic surgeons), recipes for transmutation of lead into gold, flogiston, eter, perpetuum mobile and so many other unique cultural treasures. I'm afraid that you don't stand the slightest chance of convincing people to think twice of the "silver bullet approach"? We live in the age of science and the age of John Edwards and "Crossing Over". The part of the population that reads horoscopes, consults feng shui experts and watches John Edwards (or even worse, watches the WWF) will never listen to you. They are convinced that there is a "shortcut" or a "silver bullet" that will solve all of their problems.

> So when customers call me these days and tell me they want us to install
> RAC, I happily take their order, although I put in a small, innocent
> question like "... Excellent! I'm sure you've considered the various
> advantages and disadvantages of this fantastic technology?... Right,
> let's get it installed!".

That's the right attitude! If you cannot make them smarter, you can make some money of them. I advocate the very same principle. If you don't want to listen, you'll cough up some dough.

> It really helps on the revenue stream ;-).
>
> My old math teacher in elementary school always told us: "Honesty lasts
> longer. The other thing is much faster."

Your math teacher was wrong. Honesty brings you on the collision course with morons. And morons always win. No exceptions to the rule.

> I think we should all help each other develop techniques to counter RAC
> by not being seen as negativists, but as positivists. Any suggestions?

Yeah. Get on board of directors, and your advice will always be followed, even in the areas that are completely unknown to you, like quantuum mechanics or molecular biology. As they say, the might is right, and sometimes the owners of the might force you to do stupid things, just to show you who's the boss, in order that you don't start thinking that the knowledge really is power. The power is power.

> Mogens

Make no mistake, I do think positive. I'm an ardent follower of late dr. Dale Carnegie and his "how to make friends and influence people" philosophy. Unfortunately, honesty is not a big part of it. RAC in any situation is.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA

Note:
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. Wang Trading LLC and any of its subsidiaries each reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.
Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorized to state them to be the views of any such entity.