Re: 9i RAC or 10g RAC ?

From: Mogens Nørgaard <mln_at_miracleas.dk>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 21:33:12 +0200

Michael - Yes, a slight hint of sarcasm it is, indeed. Your experience is not unique, unfortunately. People with no real understanding of multi-instance complexities and advantages can hardly wait to get this kind of software - on top of clustered hardware - in place. If the software companies around them don't want to play, they are often replaced...

RAC is often bought by management despite the hesitations from its technical staff, thus reversing the traditional roles. The dream of a technical fix-all lives on.

So when customers call me these days and tell me they want us to install RAC, I happily take their order, although I put in a small, innocent question like "... Excellent! I'm sure you've considered the various advantages and disadvantages of this fantastic technology?... Right, let's get it installed!".

It really helps on the revenue stream ;-).

My old math teacher in elementary school always told us: "Honesty lasts longer. The other thing is much faster."

I think we should all help each other develop techniques to counter RAC by not being seen as negativists, but as positivists. Any suggestions?

Mogens