Re: RAC Experiences

From: Ryan <ryan.gaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 20:36:16 -0400

Its pretty much only the federal government who can afford Sun E10Ks... which one is spending my money on this stuff? Those are like $10 million each aren't they?

I thought the federal government was moving away from using 'big 5' consulting due to the high rates. You can get the same quality people(who will typically make higher salaries than the ones at the top 5 anyway...) for far less money.

$200/hour? Less than half of that would go to the developer. What a waste of money. Which consulting company?

BTW, what are some bad designs for RAC? I have James Morle's book, but all his tips are from before Cache Fusion, when Parallel Server had to force writes to datafiles so another node can get the block. So you had to partition your application.
> Don Granaman wrote:
>
> > BTW: Executive management's preferred "solution" to this was bigger
> > hardware. Only after getting to a cluster of fully-loaded Sun E10Ks and
the
> > biggest Symmetrix that EMC could offer, with still poor performance, did
> > they *really* push the $200/hour (each) outsourced (USA)
designer/developers