spfile help needed

From: Martin, Alan (Contractor) (DLIS) <Alan.S.Martin_at_dla.mil>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 15:49:40 -0400

The docs say that once an spfile is generated, all changes to the DB parameters occur via "ALTER SYSTEM SET <param>=<value> [comment] [scope] [sid]", and the pfile is out of the loop. Based on my observations, please comment on the following:
1) Is it true that immediately after "create spfile from pfile", the spfile is not actually used until the first bounce?

Using an spfile or the old pfile, trying to ALTER SYSTEM on AUDIT_FILE_DEST yields:
ORA-02095: specified initialization parameter cannot be modified.

2) Does this mean you must first "create pfile from spfile", edit the pfile, and then recreate the spfile?

3) Since AUDIT_FILE_DEST is not system modifiable, why doesn't "alter system set AUDIT_FILE_DEST = '<my_dir>' scope=spfile" work? That would avoid having to perform (2) above.

4) Has anyone had any luck using "ALTER SYSTEM RESET <param>"? alter system reset timed_statistics

                                  *

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00905: missing keyword

Any insight would be appreciated.