RE: Experiences / Notes on Data Warehousing on 9iRAC on Linux

From: Leslie Tierstein <Leslie.Tierstein_at_visionchain.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 11:51:50 -0400

We have had major performance problems with Business Objects running on top of a multi-gigatype data warehouse. Granted, we've been using full-client BO, rather than WEBI, but I think the architectural drawbacks are the same -- that is, BO wants to build a cube on the Business Objects server, so it ends up bringing masses of data to that server from the database. We are still trying to do some diagnosis, but our current suspicions are that the BO server is, in fact, memory-bound. (And here the IT department was trying to blame the Oracle database.)

Another issue is that the end users don't like the user interface provided for building adhoc queries and have basically declared they don't think they'll ever use it. As of now, I'm not quite aure what the objections are, just that it is "too complicated". The BO repository has been pre-populated with filters, metrics, etc, for their use, but it's still "too complicated".

Leslie
Leslie Tierstein
Senior Consultant
Vision Chain, Inc.