RE: Simulate a StandBy with Standard Edition

From: <Stephen.Lee_at_DTAG.Com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 16:21:55 -0500

> -----Original Message-----
> Some ideas ?

Ideas? I got ideas! I get ideas about the women on Andromeda all the time.

One point of logic that struck me was:
> if needed, mount the standby database and recover with
> the archive log files transfered from the production server

In order to make this work, I think you will also need to get the control file and online redo logs from primary too. But then that means the primary box must either be up, or you must be able to mount the primary's disks to the secondary. In the first case, your primary box isn't down (!!). If the database is down, then I'd guess it's because of a disk failure. In which case, you probably don't have fault tolerant storage (Egads!). In which case, that should be your first priority. If the primary is down, but you can still copy the files to the secondary, then you must be able to mount the primary's disks to the secondary. In which case, I would say: Don't copy the database to the secondary. Instead, mount the disks to the secondary box, and start up the database there. And make damned sure nobody attempts to start the primary box again until the database has been shutdown on the secondary and the disks unmounted.