Re: lob space - used and free

From: Tanel Põder <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 14:40:14 +0300

Hi!

> > So how do I find out the actual space usage in this BLOB? How do you =
> > determine its free space? Can it benefinit from a rebuild?=20

> All that I can think of is DBMS_LOB.GETLENGTH. Free space would probably
be
> total space in the tablespace minus the sum of the LOB sizes. As for
benefitting

If your storage in row is enabled for your LOB's then lobs smaller than or equal to 3964 bytes will be stored inline, thus you should exclude those from your formula for calculating used space inside a LOB segment. Btw, LOB segments can grow dramatically due updates in your LOBs, because unlike for regular rows, Oracle will keep the old versions of out-of-line LOB chunks inside the LOB segment for consistency reasons.

Tanel.