Re: pga_aggregate_target

From: Tanel Põder <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 21:38:16 +0300

> I have alot of batch loading processes that run over night. A few them use
2GB or more of sort space in my temp tablespace. I know I can increase my pga_aggregate_target dynamically, however, I believe I read that oracle only allows 1 process to use up to 5% of the pga_aggregate_Target.

Yes, there is a 5% rule for a serial session and 30% rule for a parallel session. You could increase _smm_max_size (set in kilobytes) to raise the workarea memory usage limit for a serial session. The equivalent parameter for a parallel session is _smm_px_max_size.

This is unsupported of course.

> anyway to flex this up? I just need the extra sort space for a few
operations at certain times.

Better approach would be to set workarea_size_policy to manual in your specific sessions needing more memory. You can alter this parameter in session level, but I haven't tested whether this actually works...

Tanel.