Re: Logical standby database between 8i and 9i

From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 22:14:19 +0200

Jay,
8i doesn't support any kind of logical standby. I would prefer to take one step back, and to determine the reporting requirements first. - How actual data do you (the business) need? e.g. not older than one hour, one day, one week
- Is reporting performed at certain hours, or just any time of the day.

Some scenarios for your situation could be:

When you're on Sun/RS-6000/HP-UX: Create a Data Guard standby database (physical). Until noon redologs get applied. At noon recovery on the standby is stopped, and it is opened in read-only mode. Reports can be produced until 8 AM next day, when the standby is brought into recovery mode again. Change the time-frames to the needs of you business.

Consider Shareplex from Quest. I've no hands-on experience with it, but from hearsay I know that there are peolple around who like it. Expensive, though. And getting more and more obsoleted by Data Guard

Consider advanced replication (AR). 'cause your primary database is suffering from load already, this might not be an option. It comes with some overhead. Some 8 years ago I implemented a complete 'standby' solution based on AR, and the 'standby' was used for reporting as well. Triggers, referring to the 'mode' of the database prevented users from changing data in the standby. Advantage: you can connect different OS'es and versions (within certain restrictions related to datatypes and functionality of course).

Why don't you upgrade production to 9.2.0.{4|5}? Within a short term 8i will be desupported whatsoever. Probably not the strongest argument. I'm consulting on a site with appr. 6 versions of Oracle 7 still running production ;-).

David Morley is right: primary and standby need to be on the same OS, and need to run identical versions of Oracle up to the patch level (4th digit). The very one time I forgot that one of 4 testdatabases in my 'lab' was still 1 patch behind it took about 24 hours to figure out why the standby refused to start/instantiate or do anything in connection with the primary whatsoever. The moment I discovered the different version numbers was quite annoying. 24 hours destroyed!

Oracle claims to have rolling upgrades in 10. This supposedly will be done by fiddling around with primary and standby databases, so based on Data Guard. This might imply that Data Guard in the near future will be able to connect different Oracle versions. There is no patch for 10g available yet ;-), so I haven't been able to test this. Maybe Pete Sharman can throw some light on this.

Regards, Carel-Jan

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===