RE: &^@#%$@#%$ stinkin' oracle7 database

From: Singer, Phillip (P.W.) <psinger1_at_ford.com>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 15:44:17 -0400

>=20

> I've got a table in an Oracle7.3 database (that I'm finally getting
> to upgrade and I'm trying to figure out how to get the data from
> the old DB over to the new DB on the new server.
>=20
> 1) table is too big to export (even sending the export to a pipe and =
=3D
> thence
> to a compress)
> 2) table contains a long raw, so I cannot use the sqlplus COPY command
> 3) table contains a long raw, so I cannot do INSERT INTO <DBLINKED =3D
> TABLE> SELECT * FROM...
> 4) table contains a long raw, so dumping to a flat file and=20
> re-inserting =3D
> using
> sqlplus will not work.
>=20

> Other than writing a Pro*C program to do it myself, how can=20
> this data be =3D
> moved?

Been there, did the same curses.

You have two choices:

  1. Find a bigger disk
  2. Use some other 3GL program to extract the data

Last Gasp: PL/SQL can handle a long raw column of 32K or smaller. If you are real lucky, you can identify those columns which are that size,=20 write a routine to copy them to another table and delete those rows. Then, maybe what is left is small enough to export.

> Matt

>=20
> ----

Phil Singer - Not an official spokesman for anything.