Re: Truncate performance problems

From: Anu <anu_77_d_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 11:10:28 -0700 (PDT)

If it is space related and
If recovering space is not very important. i.e. If you use the same amount of space then you can try truncate.. reuse storage.

It is still better than delete ofcourse. No undo to keep etc. Shawn Ferris <shawn_at_virtualsmf.net> wrote: Thank you all for the responces.. I didn't think I'd get a silver bullet answer with such a generalized question.. but it was worth the shot! 8D

I will be gathering all the neccessary traces, hopefully this weekend to better explain the problem.. Unfortunately it's a little sporadic so getting the info is sometimes a challenge.

To answer a few of the questions:

We generally don't have a truncate issue.. heavy or slow IO activity.. just out of nowhere, it'll get bad.. The schedule is usually pretty stable and days that ran fine for 10days straight.. will go wrong on the 11th. It's trully a moving target.. This system has grown like we've never imagined it would and have been requesting new hardware for a while now.. the amount of proccessing that we're doing is a lot more than what this system should be capable of.. through juggling the schedule and re-writing/ optimizing processes.. we've done a pretty decent job at keeping it alive. But.. in the end, this should be a bigger system.

I'll post the information when I have it.. Thanks again, everyone.. it's good to be back

Shawn 8D