Re: Partition Pruning

From: Sanjay Mishra <smishra_97_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 07:21:04 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Tim
Tim Gorman <tim_at_sagelogix.com> wrote:Sanjay,

Partition pruning is the Oracle optimizer limiting the scope of your query according to the criteria you have specified either explicitly in the FROM clause (i.e. using the PARTITION or SUBPARTITION clauses) or implicitly in the WHERE clause (i.e. by referencing the partition-key column).

Partition pruning is *not* the act of simply scanning a partitioned table or partitioned index. Performance gains from partitioning do not come from the mere presence of partitioning, but by how you use it.

If you do not give the Oracle optimizer the opportunity to prune by telling it how to do so (either explicitly or implicitly), then you will scan all partitions. What you are seeing is expected behavior.

Hope this helps...

-Tim