RE: Was: iostat output; Now: Disk storage technologies

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 18:03:03 -0700

Hi Matt,

>I'm not cringing at all - quite the contrary. DBAs are hampered today
>by the fact that their applications, moreso than most others, are
>closely tied to the storage the servers are attached to. At the same
>time, though, storage technology has become complex enough that its
>practicaly a whole separate skill set. So, Oracle DBAs ideally have
>to be experts at both - a tall task, to say the least.

Yes, and we can see the increase in issues around Storage in this list ;-)

>Hopefully this is informative - thanks for the chance to pontificate...

Please pontificate all you want! Because this sort of down to earth information is _extremely_ hard to come by. Documentation, as you say, is bad, and certainly not accessible to DBAs. 'Concept' type books are either non-existent or are too techy for DBAs to understand. Vendors throw out Alphabet soup, and the poor DBA (and SA at times) can't make out head or tail of what's rapidly overwhelemed them!

(There is a hint about a book, if I wasn't so obvious in the above para!)

Take care and thanks!
John