Was: iostat output; Now: Disk storage technologies

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 10:05:59 -0700

Matt,

>You can respond to me directly if you like - unless the list at large
>is interested in iSCSI on netapp.

I would very much like to keep this in the list..... The ground beneath us as far as storage is concerned is moving quite quickly, and most of us DBAs are still in the dark as far as Storage concepts and directions go. Many are not aware that there is a wide variety of solutions as far as disk storage is concerned, and the DBA world is just now getting a handle on the transition from DAS (Direct Attached Storage) to SAN (Storage Area Networks) or NAS (Network Attached Storage). And in comes comes iSCSI (or a combination of the above) to cloud the picture.... As far as I understand the technology, we have:

And now....

As with everything else (including DBA skills!), you get what you pay for - SAN at the top end and (probably) iSCSI at the lowest end!

I am sure that I have made a lot of generalizations and Matt is cringing at my attempt to simplify everything, but is this a good start to our understanding of storage technology as it is now?

John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc
Phone: 408-970-7002 (W)

Listen to great, commercial-free christian music 24x7x365 at http://www.klove.com