RE: bfiles

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 08:22:06 -0500

Pete

   I haven't used bfiles, just been considering them. I don't see where = you
received any responses, so maybe my amateurish posting will provoke = someone
with real experience. And you did invite opinions ;-)

   I think you have three options: 1) blobs 2) bfiles 3) store the file = on
the file system and put the file path in the database. Someone on this = list
mentioned that if you have many small files you should consider #1, and = with
few large files, consider #3.=20

   From what I see, #2 bfiles is quite close to option #3. If you need = to
change the file, you can load a bfile into a blob. For a query, you can stream the bfile out through Oracle, just like it was stored as a blob. = This
can be good and bad. Good, because it can be convenient for the = application.

   Bad, because all I/O must go through the database. In option #3, you could have the files on other file servers so the I/O is spread out. In other words, you could have a smaller database server (lower Oracle licensing) and more file servers.

   Also, with bfiles you get little of the integrity that blobs = provide. You
separately create the file and then just inform Oracle of the location. = This
can produce the same integrity problems that option #3 provides, where = some
files out of millions may disappear and you have no way to know this.

   Just some thoughts for you, and I hope someone with real experience = will
reply.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.