Re: bfiles

From: Daniel Fink <Daniel.Fink_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 08:14:24 -0600

Peter,

I worked with a system that is almost identical to what you are asking. We encountered several problems.

  1. The files contained data that the database used as search criteria. However, the data in the files was not directly searchable, so the publish process had to externally indentify the search terms, associate files with them, index, etc. Not very flexible.
  2. Recoverability was compromised as the data was stored inside and outside the database. It was possible that the systems could get out of sync.
  3. Related to 2), the product side decided to request an HA implementation with near-real-time change propogation. Again, the internal/external locations of data caused problems.

My opinion is that this is not a good solution for dynamic, searchable data without a lot of architectural work. I'd love to hear the lessons from someone who has successfully implemented and supported this kind of system.

Daniel