Home -> Community -> Mailing Lists -> Oracle-L -> RE: looking for tool to help consolidate Oracle schemas within Or acle instances and Oracle instances on AIX servers

RE: looking for tool to help consolidate Oracle schemas within Or acle instances and Oracle instances on AIX servers

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 08:58:55 -0500

Jaco

   What are the benefits you hope to achieve by consolidating schemas within an instance? I can see several potential problems, especially if these are vendor-supported applications. It may be difficult to upgrade to new Oracle versions because different vendors will provide support for a new Oracle version at different times. Another issue is that each schema may support a different group of users, and one group of users may be eager to move to a new Oracle version while another group of users doesn't see this as a priority. After years of trying to consolidate schemas as much as possible, I've tended to go the opposite direction in recent years.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com