RE: Extended Characters

From: Justin Cave (DDBC) <jcave_at_ddbcinc.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 18:00:30 -0600

In this specific case, the original poster was talking about Microsoft extended characters, which will almost certainly cause a problem. Anything outside the 7-bit ASCII set that almost every character set is a superset of will cause a problem.

Are you talking about the character set scanner? That will tell you whether any of your existing data is incorrect (i.e. Chinese data in a US7SASCII database), but I'm not aware of any option to tell you whether the data would be valid in some other character set.

You can force the conversion by adding the INTERNAL_USE clause to the ALTER DATABASE statement, but I would tend to view that as a last ditch solution when every other option is exhausted and only if you really, really, really understand what it is doing under the covers (and then only after exhaustive testing and a well-tested backup & recovery plan).

Justin Cave
Distributed Database Consulting, Inc.
http://www.ddbcinc.com/askDDBC