Extended Characters

From: Deanna Schneider <deanna.schneider_at_ces.uwex.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 12:22:01 -0500

Hi All,
I'm just a lowly developer, so bear with me, please. We do a lot of development with web applications (using ColdFusion) that insert data using the jdbc drivers into Oracle (8.1.7). These are the language variables in Oracle. Supposedly, they've been set to match in the java server, too:

NLS_LANGUAGE - American
NLS_TERRITORY - America
NLS_CHARACTERSET - WE8DEC (an extended character set, Western
European)

We have a recurring problem with the Microsoft Extended Characters turning into upside down question marks on insert. The DBA and Coldfusion admins say, "there's nothing that can be done."

The recommended hack is to change all extended characters to their html entities before insert - which works fine if you're using the data only on webpages. Not such a good approach if you want it for other stuff - like downloadable spreadsheets and such.

Can you think of anything that could be done?

--

Deanna Schneider
UWEX-Cooperative Extension