Re: LogMiner-PITR

From: <jtesta_at_dmc-it.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 07:59:55 -0400 (EDT)

Yes i guess you can say that. Just be aware of the limitations of the tool.

joe

 Hi Joe,

    thanks for reply, but its not cleared yet. I am saying that we can  also
 recover data by undoing some changes through logminer, and we can also  select the data by giving some time range and then why can't we say it  point in time recovery at , say, data level. Yes TSPITR is done at  database level, can we say logminer does the DPITR(Data Point in Time  Recovery)?
 thanks,
 regards
 Fahd

 thats not considered point in time recovery, as PITR at the database  level where you restore and roll all changes across the database to a  point in timke(ie: specific SCN).

 What logminer gives you is the capability to undo changes WITHOUT  having to do a PITR. Yes its a bit more complex than that but thats  the idea.

 yes, you can get the undo for redo thats happened during a particular  time window, does logminer handle everything, absolutely not, but you  can find its limitations in the docs.

 joe, the one who's milked logminer presentations at IOUG for way too  many years :)

 Fahd Mirza wrote:

 Hi All,
   My question is:

      LogMiner can be used to undo some changes in database by  selecting
the redo logs between the given time range. Can we termed this process as Point in Time recovery? Please give me a line. Thanks
regards,
Fahd