RE: rman, init.ora, spfile???

From: John Hallas <john.hallas_at_hcresources.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 21:56:25 +0100

Paula,
I might be getting totally mixed up with things here but doesn't setting a orapwd file and connecting negate the need for a copy of the init.ora file remotely?

These are some notes I made about 3 years ago when duplicating a database using RMAN and coming across the same issue. Apologies if I am off track here and I cannot test it now anyway

John
Notes follow ....
The rman connect needs to make 3 connections when duplicating a database The target database (original source) which is the server to run the command from. Ensure that the SID is set correctly The recovery catalogue which is xxxx and can be contacted via the RCAT.xxxx alias in the tnsnames.ora file
The auxilliary or clone database. To allow this connection a remote_login_password file needs to be in place. This can be created running the orapwd command

$ORACLE_HOME/bin/orapwd file=$ORACLE_HOME/dbs orapwSID password = xxxxxx entries=10

Then add the line remote_login_passwordfile=exclusive to the init.ora and start the database in exclusive mode (using the initSID_excl.ora file in the pfile directory).
Ensure that this works by performing a sqlplus internal @tnsnames_alias with the correct password and ensuring that a connection has been made.

This needs to be set up on the target environment (xxxxxx) as well as on the auxillary server (xxxxx). Ensure that a connection can be made both locally and remotely

sqlplus internal/password_at_xxxxxxxx