RE: problem getting rid of an undo tablespace

From: Rachel Carmichael <wisernet100_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:29:51 -0800 (PST)

> It all started several hours ago when OEM let me mistakenly create a
> new datafile with a name of '.ora'...

you can name a datafile anything you want. OEM didn't make a mistake.

And if all you wanted to do was change the name of the datafile, 'alter database rename file <oldname> to <newname>;' is a MUCH better option than dropping a file (which you can't actually do anyway). You can't have the database open when you do this but then you've already said you are the only user and you are able to do the shutdown

You started with several mistaken premises:

  1. that you have to drop a file to change the name
  2. that you can even drop a file that is part of a tablespace without dropping the tablespace itself
  3. that you can directly edit the spfile

May I gently suggest that a review of the concepts and reference guides is in order?

Rachel

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - More reliable, more storage, less spam http://mail.yahoo.com