RE: problem getting rid of an undo tablespace

From: david wendelken <davewendelken_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 12:18:47 -0800 (PST)

>You started with several mistaken premises:

>1) that you have to drop a file to change the name

Nope! I didn't start with that assumption at all!

I tried 'alter database rename file <oldname> to <newname>;' right at first. Gave me error messages that said it couldn't find the file.

There's another command, alter tablespace, that's similar to that one and I tried it too. It gave me an invalid filename error.

That led me to believe that the filename was something that oracle couldn't handle.

My assumption was that it changed the name of the file IN oracle and IN the operating system. But it doesn't, you have to change the os filename yourself, and do it before the oracle command.

By the time I figured that mistaken assumption out, I had already followed prompts by oem to take actions that caused other problems.

>May I gently suggest that a review of the concepts and reference guides
>is in order?

I'm an application developer, not a DBA. We all have to specialize somewhere, and DBA work isn't mine. I've been digging thru the manuals all day long but I was getting caught in some catch-22 situations. It's the first time in a long time that I've gotten stuck! That's why I asked for help.