Re: Oracle 10g for Windows

From: Chip <ocp-dba_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 00:22:06 -0700

More inline comments:

Crimson Editor is a Professional Source Editor that color highlights keywords in many languages (including SQL and PERL): http://www.crimsoneditor.com

>>>* The fact that there are still drive letters.
>>>

>>I can't get too excited about drive letters v mount points,
>>but in windows2000 upwards you do have a choice.
>>

>Not in Oracle you don't. Or try installing Windohs on a "D" drive and see
>how far you get before products have major problems. Been there, done that.

Windows multi-boot configuration can be setup with multiple Oracle Databases.
My windows boot menu has several working choices:

C:\ Windows 2000 Professional
D:\ Windows 2003 Server
E:\ Windows XP Professional (primary boot for reading Oracle-L)
F:\ Windows 2000 Server

Note: planning to add Red Hat, SuSE, and Gentoo to the Windows boot menu.

Caution: changing hard drives can be painful. Windows can be very particular
about which partition on a hard drive can be used for an existing configuration.
The map command in the recovery console may be helpful - displays the drive letters that the Windows installer would assign for various partitions (which
may not match the drive letter actually used by Windows in a partition).

>[snip]
>

>>>* The stupid Oracle home selector that is strictly a GUI.
>>>

>>I've always ignored it.
>>

>How do you switch Oracle Homes on Windohs then?

Seems the Oracle Home selector just changes the system path. Within the bin folder in an Oracle Home, the oracle.key file contains the registry key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE for the Oracle home settings. In a command prompt, I can easily switch between sqlplus versions just by specifying sqlplus.exe with its path.

Have Fun :)