Re: SQLPlus -- replacement tool

From: Sue Johnson <sue_johnson_dba_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 23:55:40 -0800

OK, let me be more specific.

I have used toad,nav,PL/SQL developer for several years. (I still need to research benthic & tora).

My team (of 40+ users) who are all using sqlplus, comprises of 25-30 developers, 3 dbas, and end users (some technical, some non tech).

In my opinion, sqlplus is a great tool, however the problem: "ed" is not a great editor, hardly any help in building the sql like table/column lists, "." drop down as in toad, no security other than PROFILE table or priv/role managed synonymed user (pain to maintain), no GUI window for changing data as in toad & probably benthic (for DML), its a no-no tool for lower end developers and end-users, no real history, no script management, ... I bang away at sqlplus, but its still too slow at tasks that toad does in a giffy.

toad/nav: problem's that there's too much. gui drop tables, gui rebuild index, gui this gui that, gui everything... gui cascade destroy your database schema and data...this causes me loss of sleep, problems: toad does not have the lovely classic sqlplus semicolon enter, if you run a script and it errors then script execution stops unlike sqlplus (my favorite) which runs scripts separated by ';' and continues even if some errored. Powerful. toad/nav editor is not well designed from this angle, too mouse driven. No security or security levels.

What I am looking for is the power of SQLPLUS!, same sort of interface with power. I was hoping isqlplus or the workbench would cut it, but lets face it, we have ways to go. I am looking for a tool where developers/users are forced to write commands like in sqlplus, however, at a rapid pace, much more efficiently, with histories, with cut-paste, with lists, with '.'s, with semi-colons, with easy DML windows especially for updates, with easy spooling, spool management, spool history, with security levels for dbas, developers and end users, .....why does not the workbench have this, larry?

...(Deep breath)
So, then who can suggest a tool... what should I use?

Sue Johnson
DBA
OCP Yes, one can suggest a variety of tools (Toad, Benthic, etc etc), but first need to answer the question 'what is causing you too much time loss'.

Depending on that answer - one might direct you to one of these tools, or perhaps even to purpose-built SQL*scripts. It all depends on what you are trying to do. For example, there is no way I allow our people to build corporate audit triggers themselvs, either in SQL or Toad etc. They run a script which I built which dynamically builds the trigger for them - according to our standards.

I have an inbuilt distruct of gui tools, particularly when passed to the less experienced users. At least with properly written SQL stuff you can control, prompt and constrain the users.

good luck!

peter
edinburgh

Find and compare great deals on Broadband access at the MSN High-Speed Marketplace. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200360ave/direct/01/