Re: SID & SERIAL#

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_cybcon.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 14:23:53 -0800

Yeah, I've seen this a number of times.

At times when table is locked, and the session is disconnected ( PC crashes ), SMON goes about its cleanup duties, but something isn't quite right.

The session will die and come right back with a new serial#.

You can't kill it, no matter what you do.

You can't get rid of the lock either.

There is only one recourse: bounce the database.

I have seen this happen on Solaris, DG/UX and Windows, versions 7.3, 8.0 and 8.1. Not yet on 9i, maybe it's been fixed.

It hasn't happened to me in about 2 years. It would be interesting to see it again and try to capture a trace of what is going on.

Jared