Re: Undo Retention of 5 days; anyone?

From: Indy Johal <Indy.Johal_at_prnewswire.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 10:35:22 -0500

In 9i Flashback Query, if we try to use the Timestamp method, then it always round the time to nearest 5 minute interval based on the Timestamp in SMON_SCN_TIME and that is why you might not been able to get the desired result as been required to some absolute time. This is the reason, SCN method is been preferred. Mine assumption is based on the SMON_SCN_TIME limitation of only 1440 records populated every 5 minute and so keeping only 5 days of record. So it is almost certain that Flash back timestamp method round the Timestamp to nearest timestamp in SMON_SCN_TIME and so I was thinking that what will happen to the flashback query that refere to timestamp no longer in the SMON_SCN_TIME. I know I had tried it some time back and got some error like snaphot of such time cannnot be recover or like but at that time I was also having UNDO_RETENTION also less than 5 days.

Indy Johal
Manager, Database Administration
PR Newswire
indy_johal_at_prnewswire.com
http://www.prnewswire.com

(201) 946-5687 [W]
(201) 400-3960 [M]

"We tell your story to the world."

Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
02/12/2004 10:30 PM
Please respond to oracle-l

        To:     oracle-l_at_freelists.org
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: Undo Retention of 5 days; anyone?

I must say that this discussion has suddenly become very interesting. Mapping of SCN to time is an aspect of the whole thing that I haven't thought about. Please, share with the list any conclusions and information about this thing that you may discover.

Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA