Oracle certification on linux - it's a madhouse!

From: Jacques Kilchoer <Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 12:24:09 -0800

I found some conflicting information on Metalink concerning Oracle = certification on Linux. Metalink note 68857.1 is specific about kernel = releases and libraries etc. and from reading the note it looks like = Oracle 9.2 is certified on only 3 Linux releases. However going in the = "Certify and Availability" section I see Oracle 9.2 being certified on 7 = different unix releases. I asked in a Metalink forum about it, but my = question for the group is:

For those of you running Linux in production - do you stick with an = Oracle certified release? I'm not talking about the cowboys that install = on a laptop for testing purposes and compile Linux from scratch with the = right tweaks to avoid ORA-600 errors.

My guess would be that most Oracle installations on Linux are either = RedHat or SuSe - is there a survey out there that shows which Linux = versions are most popular for Oracle databases?

(P.S. Below is what I saw on Metalink)

Metalink Note:68857.1=20
Subject: Oracle on Linux Compatibilty MATRIX=20 Last Revision Date: 18-JAN-2004=20
shows that Oracle Server Version 9.2 is certified on these releases:=20
- Redhat Linux 2.1 Advanced Server=20

But, if I click the "Certify and Availability" button and then go = through this sequence:=20
View Certifications by Product=20
Oracle Database/Server=20
Oracle Database - Enterprise Edition=20
Linux x86=20
10G and 9.2, Certified combinations only=20

I see the following information:=20

Oracle 10.1 certified on Linux x86 32-bit for these releases:=20
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS/ES 3=20

Oracle 9.2 certified on Linux x86 32-bit for these releases:=20
- UnitedLinux 1.0=20