Re: Oracle certification on linux - it's a madhouse!

From: Database Admin <dba_at_magma.co.in>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:39:33 +0530 (IST)

Hi Guys,
this is going 2 b my first post at this site I guess I should be gratefull to Don Burleson for a change as he recommended this to me(Are you listening Don I dont allways talk bad things abt you).Getting back to the Linux question I have personal experience that shifting the DB from a Certified version to a non certified versiona actually gave me a tremendous perf boost.As you guys knw Oracle 9.2.0 is not certified with Redhat 9.0 but it works I have done that with yes some little tweaking not COWBOY type maybe COWHAND type but it works and memory utilization is far better.I didnt see any installation yet which runs SuSe or Mandrake or Vanila in a peoduction Env.I personally run Redhat 7.1,7.2,8.0 and 9.0 . They all work fine Cert Matrix can go to hell. Thats a easy way for the underknowledged overpaid Oracle support guys to look away from your TAR.Chk out www.puschitz.com for more deatils abt linux and Oracle.Someone send this guy a bottle of omething he likes keep up the great work Werner. See ya
Deep Chatterjee
Sr. DBA "KSPL"