RE: Shared Server vs. Connection Pooling

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 11:24:33 -0600

Ryan - We have some newly-developed Java apps here that use an app server. Since the app server has connection pooling capability, naturally they were going to use that feature. It has worked out pretty good overall. I think of it as an alternative to MTS / Shared Server. As DBA you need to ask the web administrator what the connection settings are so you can set your PROCESSES parameter. There are usually several parameters that control connection pooling, and if they set them wrong, Oracle will run out of processes. But it is pretty easy to learn, and hopefully they will try it out in test.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com