Re: PL/SQL vs Java speed in 10g

From: Tim Johnston <tjohnston_at_quallaby.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 11:46:57 -0500

I went to a presentation from an Oracle employee a few years ago... He said that when Oracle started going Java crazy, it pissed off the PL/SQL development team... So, they responded with the attitude of "Dead uh? We'll just see about that!" and started pumping out all the cool stuff we've seen over the last few years... Not sure if it's true but it sounds plausible...

Tim

Jared Still wrote:

>It seemed a ludicrous statement the first time I heard it.
>
>I don't even pay attention to it anymore.
>
>Jared
>
>On Fri, 2004-02-06 at 22:40, Tim Gorman wrote:
>

>>Why would Oracle claim that PL/SQL is dead when all Java stored procedures
>>have to be encapsulated in PL/SQL wrappers?
>>

>>on 2/6/04 3:30 PM, Jesse, Rich at Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com wrote:
>>

>>>Just reading the whitepaper "PL/SQL Just Got Faster" from OTN, it seems like
>>>Oracle's done a fair amount of efficiency tuning of PL/SQL in 10g, both in
>>>math and in the code generator / PVM. For example, integer math has been
>>>moved from software libraries to hardware ops, resulting in a 2.5 - 3 times
>>>improvement in integer math speed (according to the paper).
>>>
>>>So has Oracle abandoned it's pre-10g stance of "PL/SQL is dead -- convert to
>>>Java"?
>>>
>>>Just curious if anyone's done any perf testing yet...
>>>
>>>Rich
>>>
>>>Rich Jesse System/Database Administrator
>>>rich.jesse_at_qtiworld.com QuadTech, Sussex, WI USA

Regards,
Tim Johnston
Tel: 978-322-4226
Fax: 978-322-4100