RE: rman restore question

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 07:54:28 -0800

Joan - I have not used the redundancy policy, but my understanding is this just involves how many backup copies to retain. It does not relate to recovery as I read the manual.

Do you have Robert Freeman's book Oracle9i RMAN Backup & Recovery?

Are you attempting an incomplete recovery or a complete recovery? Any recovery to a time prior to the current time is defined as an incomplete recovery.

If I am recalling your goal, you are trying to recover but not use the latest backup sets. I always back up using an RMAN catalog, but have always tested recovery just using the control file. On Oracle8i I found it easier to separately issue a SQL command to back up the control file after an RMAN backup, then I ensure that control file ends up on the backup tape. This means that I can take the backup tape, restore the control file, then issue RMAN commands that will restore the database. That control file only knows about the RMAN backup that was last performed. So I could restore the data files from any backup. Now, as you know, recovery in RMAN is basically a shell over the Oracle recovery mechanism. You can restore using RMAN, then recover the database using Oracle server manager (now SQL*Plus) commands. So it should be possible to restore the database using RMAN as I described it (but not restore), then replace the old control file with a more recent control file, then recover the database (Oracle will apply archive log files) until the current time is reached. Obviously by starting with an older restore, more archive logs must be applied. Take a look at this idea and see if it would meet your requirements.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com