Re: Apps 11.5.9 Disater Recovery Site

From: Tanel Poder <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 16:44:26 -0800

One issue popped into my mind with patching & disaster recovery:

When you're patching your primary system, have applied all c & g and d drivers (or an u driver) and a disaster occurs, then your secondary site might remain in inconsistent state e.g. database objects have the new version, but corresponding $APPL_TOP ones are old, because they're not rsynced yet.

Or the opposite - when rsync has been done, but you have to do a point in time recovery to the point before d-patch application in secondary site.

And of course, don't forget to simulate and test the disaster, several times, if possible. Without warning, if possible ;)

Tanel.

> I've been charged with bringing up a disaster recovery site, so time to
hit the books again as a lot
> has changed since the last time I did this. Looking for resource
recommendations (FM to read, white
> papers, etc).
>
> Sticky part of this is it is an Applications 11.5.9 installation. The
database end of it should not
> be too difficult (8.1.7.4, soon to be 9.2.0.4), but the applications file
system is modified by the
> adpatch utility which adpatch requires a database connection to function.
I can think of 2 ways to

Author: Tanel Poder
  INET: tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee