Database Instance

From: Kean Jacinta <jacintakean_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 17:49:25 -0800

Dear : All

First and foremost , if i ask stupid question pls forgive me coz i new to oralce. I have a question here.

I have a server, and this server contains 5 oracle database. Each database contains 5 web application that are running on live ( production server ). As i understand abt oracle , every database that i created will have 1 instance. So since this server hold 5 database then i will have 5 instances running.

Lately, my manager want me to remove all the databases and remain a single instance. I was wondering if i move everything into single database then if one of the application fail due to oracle error , then all other four application will fail also rite ?

Each of our web application needs to have 2 schema and both schema have to be transparent to each other. While other application schema will be invisible to each other. Since i have 5 web app then i will need 10 schema.One major problem is all the 10 schema will contain same table name. It will be a mess putting so much app in a single db .

Pls correct me if i am wrong and do let me know what are the pro and cons or maybe you can educate me with some of the best practice to setup a proper production server environment.

Thank You

Regards,
Jkean

Do you Yahoo!?
New Yahoo! Photos - easier uploading and sharing. http://photos.yahoo.com/

Author: Kean Jacinta
  INET: jacintakean_at_yahoo.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Dec 23 2003 - 19:49:25 CST