Re: 10g new features (was: dc_used_extents ,dc_free_extents

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 07:09:25 -0800

Tanel,
 Thanks for sharing the presentation in the 10g features.  I started looking at the slides and I have a question about the "cross platform transportable tablespaces" and the command you used.  From what I gather in the command I can take a Unix based datafile and convert it to a "Microsoft Windows NT"
format just by quoting the destination OS type and version? Then basically I have to copy the converted datafile to the new OS and recognize the datafile by the new OS to have to data available? How is this possible? the different OS's use different storage (fat's, inodes) unless it converts it into a common format like ASCII. Do you have to perform and "conversion" on the new OS when the file is copied over? For query purposes why not use a DBLINK? I think it would be faster. I can understand some complicated actions and wanting to keep the data separate between platforms or if you wanted to migrate between platforms. Other than that reason I am finding it difficult to understand the full advantage for this feature.

 I think that the online segment shrink is a nice feature but as I understand the feature, it requires the use of RAW devices. Is this correct? The RAW device must have a portion of the disk allocated for the max size file before the shrink or else the disk could be clobbered by creating a file on the device.

No SQLPLUSW for windows? Is this because of a browser based access to the sqlplus function?

Just a few question. Thanks for sharing the knowledge. Ron

>>> tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee 12/10/2003 4:34:25 PM >>>
> Pete, I'd like to clarify my position first: I don't have any
burning
problem
> that would compel me to start testing 10g. I want only to learn the
new
> features.

Btw, if you want to learn some of the 10g database engine new features (not
the marketing buzzwords), then check out one of my presentations from:

http://integrid.info/Poder_10g_New_Features.ppt

Tanel.

Author: Tanel Poder
  INET: tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee