RE: Any articles/books that take relational theory and make it en

From: Michael Milligan <Michael.Milligan_at_ingenix.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:10:10 -0800

To me, CJ Date is the one who makes it crystal clear. Not in his main book, but in his "Relational Database Readings" books, which I have most of.

I have also seen some good articles by Fabian Pascal.

I also have a new book called "Data Modeling for Everyone" by Sharon Allen, published by Curlingstone Press. It deals with how to actually do it - take it from conceptual to logical to physical, going straight to a physical model - which we all sometimes have to do, and how data modeling fits into a software project. Very good book.

Otherwise, throw a problem out here and see if anyone here has ideas that may help you. I've loved data modeling my whole career and believe I could write a book myself about it (I didn't say anyone would read it!).

I'm afraid that by "turning it into DBA speak" you might mean not understanding the essentials of data modeling. That wouldn't be good. I would take the most important things to remember and have an example in the real Oracle world of what that means.

I personally believe that the most important thing to remember, the "essence" of a lot of data modeling, is that there should always be only one place for an item of data to go. Denormalization typically creates another place for it to go, so you have to remember to update two or three or four tables with the same data.

HTH -----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 6:25 AM To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L english?

I swapped emails with a member of the list and Im having trouble seeing how you can take 3NF, BCNF, etc... and turn that into DBA speak. One of the guys told me that BCNF essentially means you have a key that you can put a unique constraint on. Well that makes this much easier to understand.

All my theory books just discuss theory. Anyone know some that split the difference. IE, not Codd, not CJ Date, Not the academic textbooks.

Thanks.

Author: <ryan_oracle_at_cox.net
  INET: ryan_oracle_at_cox.net

This e-mail, including attachments, may include confidential and/or proprietary information, and may be used only by the person or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and delete this e-mail immediately.

Author: Michael Milligan
  INET: Michael.Milligan_at_ingenix.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Nov 19 2003 - 13:10:10 CST